Thursday 16 August 2007

Time to put the Pigeons among the Cats...

Early in my days in the world of blogs, I was advised by Jasper that, if I wanted to drive traffic to my site, I should include a few pictures of cats.

“Pa,” he said, “I’ve been studying all these blogs in some detail – and there’s definitely a lot of interest in photos of cats just being sort of ‘cute’.”

Well, I’m not one who easily turns his back on the advice of his son, especially one as versed in the ways of the internet as Jasper so clearly is. At the same time, I can’t pretend I’m a great lover of cute cat and kitten pictures. Whilst on holiday, I was wracking my brains to see if I couldn’t come up with a new fix on the whole cat photo thing. And I think I’ve cracked it.

My regular readers may know that I spent part of my career as the editor of Pigeon Fancier Weekly. It’s an august publication, which over its 110 years of publication has always looked to be at the cutting edge of the world of pigeon fancying, and I was proud of my contribution as editor.

It’s easy to dismiss those who love pigeons as some sort of cranks. But that would be to miss out on one important aspect of the whole business. Pigeons are actually quite fanciable.

And what could be finer than to know you can release a bird, sometimes hundreds of miles from its home, and know it will use all its skill and judgement to navigate back to you, come rain, hail or shine?


And so, a new irregular Bill Blunt feature is born: Pigeon of the Month. I’m kicking off the feature with a photo taken of the triple north west champion ‘Lovely Gal’, who is owned by my good friend and drinking companion, Eddie Stubbs. Eddie has owned her for almost four years, and has lavished such love and attention on her that she’s risen to great heights in the pigeon world.

She may not be furry. She may not chase, stupidly, after balls of wool. But she’s living testimony to a passion and a desire that few outside the world of pigeon fancying really ever understand.

11 comments:

DubLiMan said...

I have 2 pigeons that come to my hose every year and have nest under my eves. They make a mess, but I am still thrilled when they arrive and a little sad when they leave.

I found your site through a shared link that I have with “The Painted Veil” Would you be interested in a link swap? Please visit my site at: http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. My site is “Dedicated to the Pursuit, Capture, Care & Feeding of a Positive Mental Attitude.” I have zero adds on my site. I feel that what I have to say has universal significance. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same. I only make this offer to sites that I know my readers would benefit from.

70steen said...

A fine figure of a bird I must say. Does she figure on page 3?
I have a book somewhere I must root out for you about prize pigeons C1930 I am sure you will find it of interest

Anonymous said...

well I'd post a pic of my rosella but he's been plucking his feathers lately and looks a mite scary

Crofty said...

Ah Bill, it's good to see you back; and with a post that will warm the hearts of many a flat cap wearing Northener. You are right of course, that picture is far more likely to bring a tear to the eye than some sickly sweet kitten pic.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Bill.

Cracking bird, by the way.

- Julian.

Anonymous said...

By gum your back!!! About time too.
Hope you had a lovely holiday and are ready for the fray.

Anonymous said...

I was sure I left a comment here yesterday. is it in your spam basket?

Anonymous said...

It's nice to be back. Frinton is losing its charm, I can tell you!

Thank you to my loyal readers. You continue to make a old man very happy.

the Domestic Minx said...

I always fancied you as a pigeon fancier, Bill.

Welcome back, dear man!
I've missed you x

Anonymous said...

lol oh my, what a beautiful pigeon! Thanks so much for the comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

iWfMMd Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!