Wednesday 4 April 2012

Coffee Time

It's a little over four years since I sang the praises of Sainsburys Basics Ground Coffee.   I'm still a regular purchaser (decanted,of course, into a smart Illy tin so my visitors won't know).


At the time, 227gm could be bought for 79p and was something of a bargain against the likes of Lavazza at £1.99 a packet.  Less than half the price.

In the intervening years, Lavazza has increased in price to around £2.99 for 250gm (about 12p per gram).

Compare that to Sainsburys Basics, now selling at £1.69 - or 7.4p per gram.


And suddenly, the basics isn't quite the bargain it once was.

Keep your eyes open folks.   Vanilla ice cream's the next one for the inflation pump.


2 comments:

Interesting Facts said...

But I love Vanilla ice cream. SO bad news for me.

Bill Blunt said...

You and me both. Have you ever tried vabilla ice cream and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil? I peomise you, it's as intriguing as it is tasty!