Wednesday 13 May 2009

He Who (Re)pays The Piper

Amid the clamour of our 'Honourable' Members of Parliament scrambling to write cheques to repay the dosh they so easily grabbed from the taxpayer over the last few years, it's easy to become blasé about the odd few grand spent on upgrading second homes.

I know there will be some who will wonder whether I can justify employing my techno-savvy son, Jasper, to redesign my blog. I want to take this opportunity to reassure my readers that any (presumed) increase in the value of Bill Blunt's Blog will be declared to the tax authorities. Nepotism does not come cheaply - as any MP will tell you. In any case, my accountant has assured me that this is not, in fact, my first blog, so there should be no question about tax liability that he can't handle.

If only it were the same for Hazel Blears. Poor Hazel has done her best to keep her punters onside (by which I mean her voters, obviously) in electing to repay any Capital Gains Tax otherwise due on her second home. Well done that woman!

It's a brave man who would ever accuse Bill Blunt of being a financial whiz-kid. I don't pretend to understand these things but - nevertheless - I can't help wondering whether she's still made a tidy profit on all this first / second home 'swrching' she's supposed to have been involved in.

If that's the case, just paying the tax on the profit doesn't seem enough.


3 comments:

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

First a blog redesign, now monetizing your blog - I am sure John Torode and Elizabeth Hurley would approve of the latter, as neither are short of a buck or two.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I'd forgotten about the blogrollover allowance - I was getting a tad concerned. Your fiscal savvy has more meat in it than a fried saveloy - and I never thought I'd ever say that ......

lucylastic said...

Bill, always good to get your view of the world - a little dose of your cynicism always makes me feel better and it's reassuring to know I'm not alone in despairing at the fact that, when all is said and done, at the end of the day, our Members of Parliament are as cliched as ever - anyone who thinks their MP has altruistic motives shouldn't be allowed to vote!!! Lucy