Monday 18 February 2008

A Brave New Voice From the North

Due to a change in my personal circumstances, I no longer get as much chance to surf for new blogs and thus point my readers towards them as often as I used to. I'm not exactly on my uppers, you understand, but the recent divorce from Mrs Blunt means I have to watch the pennies. A landline (and hence an ISP) were the first casualty in my economy drive.

However, I've recently signed up to the 3 mobile broadband service, and it's allowing me, once again, to dip a toe into the unknown.

Courtesy of those fine people at Fuel My Blog, I found a little seedling which I would like to suggest readers drop by to take a look at.

Surviving
, by Elaine Stevens, is a 'novel in progress'. It differs markedly from that other novel I've pointed readers to in the past - not least because it does appear to be 'in progress'. Thomas Hamburger seems to have ground to a halt after a mere 150,000 words, despite his protestations that he's 'on a re-write'.

When you do drop by to Elaine's blog, just remember that she's a northern lass, and proud of it. A good editor will no doubt help her sort out some of the grammar and punctuation, but what appealed to me was a language that was sharp and distinctive, and a style that made me want to read on. I can't pretend I'm a fan of her chosen genre, but she kept me reading to the end of the chapters she's already posted, and left me wanting to know how it was all going to turn out.

I hope you will want to encourage this talent, by leaving her a comment and letting her know you've dropped by. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

sylvie d said...

Good choice Bill and thank you for the linky love too ;-)