Wednesday 27 June 2007

Staying True to Your Self

What a man has for his breakfast is his own affair. I know some of my friends who swear by the full cooked English, piling their plates with sausages, rashers of bacon, eggs, hash browns, griddled mushrooms and the rest. That's their business, and they're welcome to it.

For those of that ilk, Wetherspoon’s Full English Breakfast is something I can heartily recommend. When I have tried it, I have rarely emerged dissatisfied (although one or two establishments that it would be churlish for me to name have occasionally served the bacon just a little on the tepid side).

In my later years, I’ve found myself drifting towards eating cereal for my first meal of the day. What can beat a bowl of crunchy Bran Flakes, whether that be the Kellog variety or the reasonable and tasty own-brand alternative available at Aldi?

It’s also the case that I tend to stick to just one particular cereal each day. Not for me the constant swapping between Weetabix, Cornflakes and Shredded Wheat. I can go months and years eating the same variety, without getting bored, before I decide it’s time to switch to a new one.

Reflecting on this in the company of a delightful young lady who was attending a conference I was speaking at earlier this week, I characterised myself as a ‘cereal monogamist’. For some reason, that seemed to be her cue to terminate the conversation and leave the bar, so I never did get to find out her views on the subject. Perhaps I should have waited to discuss it over breakfast, the next day?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness there hadn't been an incident in the kitchen concerning sleepiness, dropping and treading. You might have referred to yourself as a cereal killer.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, dp, indeed! Alas, I am sure bran flakes have died in the process of preparing breakfast.

Jackie said...

Well the question that came to my mind after reading your last paragraph concerning "over Breakfast....." Was just exactly how was the night spent? This is in reaction to my comment posted concerning us Hedonistic yanks and is completely in jest I assure you. But, I am a nosy booger! Yet another lovely and very elegantly written piece! Oh my a cereal killer...daddy papersurfer is perhaps in the wrong profession. I find him much funnier than any comic currently holding any fame at all. Bravo again~Jackie

Miss Trashahassee said...

You know them little breakfast breads we eat over here called "English muffins"?

Do y'all over there call 'em "American muffins"?

If not, why not? It would only be a fair trade, now wouldn't it?

BFF,
Miss T

Anonymous said...

Discretion is the better part, etc etc, shinade, but as the young lady in question had walked away in something of a huff, I breakfasted alone...

miss trashahassee - the nomenclature of food is an interesting topic, deserving of a whole discussion in itself. It's difficult to know why we have our own national muffin, whereas we don't particularly call the big cakey things with blueberries in an 'American' muffin. I shall investigate further, and report back.

Jackie said...

You are simply the best my friend!

Miss Trashahassee said...

Thank you, Mr. Bill. I shall look forward to your report.

Because you love cereal for breakfast, and you didn't indicate a preference for hot or cold, I recommend that you oughta try a nice, hot bowl of grits. Put some cheddar or American cheese in there with 'em and you can call it "Georgia ice cream."

Grits will take your practice of cereal monogamy to a new level. You won't never be the same. Get you some toothpicks, though.

BFF,
Miss T

Crofty said...

I've always wondered, what exactly are grits? I like a bowl of hot porridge in a morning drizzled with honey and accompanied by a steaming mug of tea.

Are grits a bit like that - the porridge, not the tea?

Anonymous said...

I think we need our transatlantic cousins to enlighten us, Crofty. My entire knowledge of grits is based on watching a few episodes of The Beverley Hillbillies. I seem to remember grandma was a big fan of them.